1. Surprisingly very good zoo at Guatemala City, great if you are traveling with children. Driving time: 5-20 minutes from within the city depending on your location.
2. Visit Antigua Guatemala. View colonial architecture and walk the cobblestone roads. Even better if you can make it for Easter Week processions (book resort early). Driving time: 45 minutes in the capital.
3. Climb the Pacaya Volcano. As close as you can get to a live, lava-spewing volcano. Driving time: 45 minutes from the city.
4. Explore Lake Atitlan. Inspired by volcanoes, thought to be the most beautiful lake in the world. I agree. Driving time: 2 – 2:30 hours from Guatemala City.
5. Visit the shores. You obtain a 2-for-1 here. Fantastic place to relax. Playa Blanca in Izabal, and its conventional white-sand
shores are on the East. Really scenic, on the water, and well-kept. Spending time for Monterrico: 2 – 2:30 hours from Guatemala City.
6. Shop at Chichicastenango Market. Open Thursdays and Sundays, Chichi market is THE largest handicrafts market in the entire world. Haggling is accepted and encouraged. Purchase your souvenirs here. Driving time: 3 – 3:30 hours from Guatemala City.
7. Stop by IRTRA parks in Retalhuleu. Stay in the cheap IRTRA hostels and enjoy its spas, restaurants, tennis courts, pools, bowling alley and other grown-up conveniences. The grounds are amazingly well-kept and you’ll like the peacocks strutting all throughout the hostel complicated. Driving time: 3 – 3:30 hours from Guatemala City.
8. Take a stroll in Xela. A piece of Europe in Central America. Competes with Antigua for absolute beauty and the destination to learn Spanish in its many colleges. Safe to walk at night, its amazing architecture (and global cuisine) could be enjoyed anytime. Driving time: 4 – 4:30 hours in Guatemala City.
9. Explore Semuc Champey. Enjoy tranquil rock pools full of turquoise blue waters investigate beautiful caves by candlelight. You won’t find one picture on the internet that can do it justice. It’s that magnificent in person. Driving time: About 5 hours from Guatemala City.
10. See Tikal National Park. View the Beautiful Mayan temples, directly in the center of the jungle. Ponder If the end of the world starts here in 2012. Driving time: 8 hours from Guatemala City (flying into Flores’ airport in Guatemala City is your Often-chosen, self-improvement path).